01 July 2006

I'm a nurse, and everyday I see my patients at their worst. Pain, nausea, depression, just not feeling good. And I can handle that, I can listen to them, reassure them, reposition them, walk them to the bathroom, get them up in a chair and hopefully make them feel a little better. That's the side of the bed I'm supposed to be on. Yesterday, I had to be on the other side of the bed. My grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer recently, and yesterday she died. It's not easy to be on that side of the bed, it's not easy to make that transistion. Dying with dignity is a big phrase in health care, I've taken classes in nursing school and at conferences since I graduated, but nothing made me understand it like what happened yesterday. It was simple, quiet, peaceful and intimate. She died softly, with her family all around, holding onto her until she was ready to go. So I want to say thank you to the doctors, and to the nurses, and to my family, because that was love, and that was for her, and it was amazing. So to my Grandma, who called me Pretty Little Miss Kate Darlin', and always had fruit rollups in the cupboard when we visited, and gave us books every year from the Book Fairy, and knew all the answers to crossword puzzle, I love you and I'll miss you. See you later alligator.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate I know exactly how you are feeling. my heart and prayers go to you and your family

02 July, 2006 05:15  
Blogger Erin said...

I had forgotten about 'The Book Fairy'!!

I must tell you, one thing that made me cry hardest was seeing you caring for her. It made me so proud, and I know she couldn't have been better cared for at the end. It was exactly as she wanted.

02 July, 2006 07:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

-barbie

02 July, 2006 15:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate:
What a wonderful way to leave this world, with your family surrounding you with love. What a beautiful way to describe the scene - it brings back my memories of my sister Colette's last days.
Our thoughts, prayers and love are with you and your family for your loss of your beloved grandmother.
Toni

03 July, 2006 07:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home