30 January 2006

Man, this place really sucks. It won't stop raining, it's windy as hell, and the snow, oh man, the snow. Hahaha suckers, it really is that great here! Blue skies, sun, a great breeze, gorgeous flowers and all. Hey we earned it! We had to travel for over 31 hours, including 4 separate flights! And do you know how many hours of overtime I had to work to save up enough time to pay for us to be here??

New Zealanders really don’t like George W. Bush. The first thing our landlord asked us when we arrived was “you didn’t vote for Bush, did you?” Our neighbors are Americans from Colorado, and they said that most of the mention of the US in the New Zealand papers is pointing out stupid things Bush has said or done. We were surprised that people this far away from the US would have such strong opinions about our government!

One of the first questions the doctors Brian is working with asked him was, “Do you own a handgun?” When he said no, they said “Well you’re different from most Americans then.” Of course Brian had to point out that not all Americans are gun-toting gas-guzzling crazies. Hopefully by then end of our stay we’ll have convinced at least a couple Kiwis that we like hiking up mountains, thinking independently and recycling just as much as the do!

Well I’m successfully learning to drive on the wrong side of the road while sitting on the wrong side of the car! Here’s a picture Brian took of me dealing with a gear shift on the LEFT!



I was scared to death to drive at first but now it’s kind of fun to zoom around in our little car with our one little radio speaker blaring.

We’re picking up NZ terms pretty quickly. We had to laugh when we drove past the Trundler park at the grocery store.



I’m highly amused by NZ TV. Mostly because all the shows are American! The second season of Desperate Housewives and Grey’s Anatomy starts on Monday, I’ve also seen Martha Stewart, last years Survivor and The Bachelor, and Days of our Lives from about 3 years ago., Plus old reruns of Party of Five and 7th Heaven. At least if I get homesick I can watch American TV!

The center of Christchurch is called Cathedral Square. The name is pretty self explanatory.



Cathedral Square is where the World Buskers Festival was held. It’s a fair with street performers from around the world. Ch Ch (the abbreviation they use around here) government actually paid for the Buskers transportation and accommodations while they’re here because it brings so much business to the city. Here is one of the acts we caught.



Last but not least, look what I found! Tell me that’s not a Buckeye tree!

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

It is so beautiful there. I am exceedingly jealous!! I think driving on the wrong side of the road, with a left-side stick would be great!!!

And, my hair is horrendous, but really, do we have to go broadcasting it??? ;)

Love y'all!

31 January, 2006 07:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That's not a buckeye tree." You said you wanted someone to tell you that, Kate, and looks like no one took the bait yet. Hahaha.

Is it easier to drive on the wrong side of the road if you take a couple of shots first? You should test that theory out.

31 January, 2006 07:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian and Kate-
It looks so great there-I am so happy you are both enjoying yourselves. Keep us updated-the pictures make me smile...

31 January, 2006 14:05  
Blogger Surgicalsurfer said...

Hi Kate, I work with Brian in the eye department. You can check out my blog at surgicalsurfer.blogspot.com

I must confess I'm not a kiwi, but am Australian. Our stereotype here in NZ is of being brash and speaking our mind so I won't let you down.

Ben was the guy who made the handgun comments. He is the funnyman of the department and has a great sense of humour. If Brian hasn't told you that Ben's comments were 100% humour then you need to have a stern word to him.

If he did tell you the context of the comments, then you are just bullshitting to all your mates back home and I've exposed you!

I hope its the former.

Will probably meet you soon. (I promise I'll be nice). If you and Brian come down to Sumner, then please come and say Hi.

Gus

01 February, 2006 00:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home